Using rsync, it is very simple to backup your personal data. Install it through the app manager and issue the following command from your computer
rsync -avz -e ssh email@example.com:. /home/foo/backup
Here, foo is the username you use on your computer and 10.0.0.1 is the ip address of the N900.
Reset the N900 to factory settings
Download and install flasher
First, get the flasher software here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php
- Latest version (Jan 2011) is 3.5:
Install the flasher.
Download the EMMC and OS images here http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
- Latest EMMC version is
- Turn off the N900
- Press and hold the U key on the keypad.Insert the USB cable into you computer.
- A USB symbol will appear on the top right of your N900 screen. Let go of the U key.
Issue the command
flasher-3.5 -F OS_image_name -f
Here OS_image_name is the name of the OS image you downloaded, e.g.
flasher-3.5 -F EMMC_image_name -f -R
Here EMMC_image_name is the name of the EMMC image you downloaded, e.g.
Set up root
- Enable extra repositories by visiting https://garage.maemo.org/extras-assistant/install/extras.install
- Enable extra-devel repositories by visiting https://garage.maemo.org/extras-assistant/install/extras-devel.install
- Install rootsh via application manager
You can now become root by typing
in a terminal
Install the packages openssh-server and openssh-client from the app manager. Alternatively, you may use apt-get
apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client
As root, execute
apt-get install kernel-power-settings qcpufreq